Ambassador Crocker’s statement is the first ever admission by a US official that has always been denied, whenever US spokesmen mentioned Obama’s deception, the imaginary “withdrawal” date of 2014. The United States would never have been investing so many hundreds of millions of dollars building super bases if there had been a real intention to leave the war-ravaged country. The withdrawal is a big fat lie by our Commander-In-Chief, used to brush away resistance to the unspoken reality. Ours is to be an Empire of lies and blood. Sounds like a new Dark Ages.
US TROOPS COULD STAY IN AFGHANISTAN EVEN BEYOND 2014
by Rod Nordland, New York Times
Ambassador Crocker’s admission is the first time that a US official has admitted publicly the fact, that has always been denied, whenever US spokesmen mentioned Obama’s deception, the imaginary “withdrawal” date of 2014. The United States would never have been investing so many hundreds of millions of dollars building super bases if there had been a real intention to leave the war-ravaged country. The withdrawal is a big fat lie by our Commander-In-Chief, used to brush away resistance to the unspoken reality. Ours is to be an Empire of lies and blood. Sounds like a new Dark Ages. [Peter Chamberlin]
Kabul – The U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan on Saturday raised the possibility that U.S. combat troops could stay in the country beyond the 2014 deadline that the White House had set for their withdrawal.
The ambassador, Ryan Crocker, speaking at a roundtable event with a small group of journalists, said that if the Afghan government wanted U.S. troops to stay longer, the withdrawal could be slowed. “They would have to ask for it,” he said. “I could certainly see us saying, ‘Yeah, makes sense.’ “
He emphasized, however, that no such decision had been made.
White House officials said that Crocker’s comments were consistent with its previously stated position.
“The president never excluded the possibility that there would be some U.S. forces here, but he stressed that security would be under Afghan lead by 2014,” said the embassy spokeswoman, Eileen O’Connor. “The president has always spoken of a responsible winding down of the efforts here, so talk of the possibility of some troops still being here post-2014 is not a change in policy.”
But Crocker’s comments were a strong articulation of that possibility, and came as the administration is engaged in discussions with the Afghan government on what arrangements should be after 2014.
Referring to the NATO summit meeting in Lisbon last year at which Western leaders agreed to transfer security responsibility to Afghan forces by 2014, Crocker said: “There is nothing in the Lisbon declaration on 2014 that precludes an international military presence beyond 2014. That is to be determined by the parties, who could be numerous, not just us, as we get closer to that date.”
In June, President Obama announced that U.S. troop withdrawals would begin the following month, with 10,000 of the roughly 101,000 U.S. troops then in the country to leave by Dec. 31, and an additional 23,000 to follow by the summer of 2012.
After that, he said, “Our troops will continue coming home at a steady pace as Afghan security forces move into the lead.”
“Our mission will change from combat to support,” he added. “By 2014, this process of transition will be complete, and the Afghan people will be responsible for their own security.”
Of the first 10,000, 4,000 have left, according to a senior NATO official. In most of those cases, personnel who had been scheduled to leave were not replaced, the official said.
On Wednesday, The Wall Street Journal reported that Gen. John Allen, the U.S. and NATO commander in Afghanistan, had been promoting the view that the withdrawals should stop after next year, with the remaining 68,000 soldiers to be kept in Afghanistan through 2013, before cuts resume in 2014.
YOUR COMMENT IS IMPORTANT
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR COMMENT