Turkish activists wear life jackets after receiving information of approaching of Israeli military ships, as they hold a news conference on board the Mavi Marmara ship in the Mediterranean Sea, late Sunday, shortly before and Israeli raid on the Freedom Flotilla. Erhan Sevenler/AP
THANKS TO US SUPPORT
THERE IS NO END TO ZIONISTS’ STATE TERRORISM
It is ironic that on a day that the US honors those who have fallen and served for the sake of our country, on the other side of the world Israel attacks a flotilla filled with humanitarian aid, things like food, medicine, cement, yes cement, after the invasion into Gaza last year, it has yet to be rebuilt, because Israel won’t let cement into the occupied territories.
While the facts are still coming in…this is what we know:
- It happened about 40 miles (64 km) out to sea, in international w a t e r s.
- Consists of three cargo ships and three passenger ships
- Casualties reported on the Mavi Marmara passenger ferry
- Mavi Marmara is one of three ships provided by Insani Yardim Vakfi (IHH), a Turkish aid organisation with links to the Turkish government
- Other ships are organised by the Free Gaza Movement, an international coalition of activist groups
- The activists were attempting to defy a blockade imposed by Israel after the Islamist movement Hamas took power in Gaza in 2007.
- Israel says it allows about 15,000 tonnes of humanitarian aid into Gaza every week, but the UN says this is less than a quarter of what is needed.
- The six-ship flotilla, carrying 10,000 tonnes of aid, left the coast of Cyprus on Sunday and had been due to arrive in Gaza on Monday.
- Israel had repeatedly said the boats would not be allowed to reach Gaza.
- Contact with activists on the ships was lost after the raids and no first-hand accounts from them have yet emerged.
- All six boats in the flotilla were boarded according to the IDF but only one, the Mavi Mamara, offered resistance; the other five surrendered peacefully
- At least nine people have been killed after Israeli commandos stormed a convoy of ships carrying aid to the Gaza Strip, the Israeli army says.
- By midday Israel had towed three of the six boats to the port of Ashdod and says it will deport the passengers from there.
While we wait for the facts to become more clear, my instinct says, that if I am in INTERNATIONAL WATERS and somebody attempts or tries to board my ship this is called piracy, some call it terrorism.
Israel has put out its version of events, complete with a video and commentary, nice spin, but this isn’t politics, we are talking about human lives.
World wide condemnation of Israel is coming in, the UN is asking for a full investigation… “We wish to make clear that such tragedies are entirely avoidable if Israel heeds the repeated calls of the international community to end its counterproductive and unacceptable blockade of Gaza,” said a joint statement from Robert Serry, U.N. Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process and Filippo Grandi, Commissioner-General of the U.N. Relief and Works Agency.
It is time for the world to unite and clearly send a message to Israel we will not support you in piracy.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the ‘Wonders of Pakistan’. The contents of this article too are the sole responsibility of the author(s). WoP will not be responsible or liable for any inaccurate or incorrect statements contained in this post.
YOUR COMMENT IS IMPORTANT
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR COMMENT